This is a test of a DIY jib arm design for small, light cameras like the GoPro Hero. the boom is a 12′ paint extension pole. I need to work on the trapeze so that it has less friction, but overall I can see this as a useful tool. I want to try my Samsung HZ10W next, as the GoPro is not the best video quality and the fisheye lens is so wide that you cannot avoid lens flares. Shot at 720 60p conformed to 24Fps. ungraded, edited as Prores in FCP, compressed with the Elgato Turbo H264HD.
This is a test mounting the GoPro Hero HD on a microphone boom, with some care and a better boom operator, this might be a good solution for quick and dirty crane shots. Below zero temps outdoors made this a an indoor test. This was shot at 720P 60fps conformed to 24fps. Edited in FCP with no grading.
Note for animal lovers: All the trophy mounts were inherited from my Father-in-law.. I only shoot wildlife with cameras.
Mea Cupla is a short film exercise for my sound design class at Front Range Community College. The dialog and action were totally improvised and the video was shot in a half hour (still enough to irritate some other teachers ) We were testing recording second system sound using a Marantz PMD661 digital recorder and a EV RE-15 microphone on a boom. I was also testing shooting with the Panasonic GH1 camera at 720p at 60fps, the project was edited in Final Cut Pro 6 with a 29.97fps timeline. I used 50% speed with no frame blending for the slow motion shots. And finally I want to demonstrated some running tracking shots with the Jaybilizer3000 DIY camera stabilizer. The entire video was shot with a Panasonic GH1 camera using available light at ISO 1600 on my Jaybilizer3000 DIY camera stabilizer
A Jay Shaffer Film
MGD-163 Sound Design Class:
Testing the GH1 on my DIY Merlin-type camera stabilizer (the Jaybilizer3000 jaybilizer.com )
This is kinda a worse case scenario, I was testing for rolling shutter with rapid side to side movement and to see how 24fps looked when moving quickly on a stabilizer also I wanted to see how smooth the camera was on the stabilizer. Obviously for real production footage I would have slowed down my motion to smooth out the 24p.
I demonstrate a DIY mirror LCD shade for the Canon HV30 to “flip” the image so that it appears upright when using a Jag35 DOF adapter. It should be noted that the mage is only corrected as far as being upright, the image is still “flipped” left to right. This can make panning difficult, but for static shots I find it an acceptable solution.
I added a couple things to my DIY camera stabilizer.
Detail of the inexpensive Tripod head mounted on the camera stabilizer
First, I figured out how to mount a cheap tripod head as a camera mount. This gives me a much more precise control of the cameras front to back balance and it also significantly raises the center of gravity of the rig. Secondly, because of the raised center of gravity, I now have to use counter weights on the bottom of the arm. This gives me a little more control of the rig’s roll characteristics. I also optimized the weights for the Canon HV-30 so it takes a lot less time to balance out the rig now.
Overall the design is evolving and improving and as I practice a bit more my shooting technique is improving. I would like to get a more experienced Stedicam operator to take it out for a spin.
Wing nut holds four fender washers as a counterweight