I demonstrate a couple modifications and improvements to my inexpensive camera stabilizer design and finally show some footage of the stabilizer in action.
I added a couple things to my DIY camera stabilizer.
First, I figured out how to mount a cheap tripod head as a camera mount. This gives me a much more precise control of the cameras front to back balance and it also significantly raises the center of gravity of the rig. Secondly, because of the raised center of gravity, I now have to use counter weights on the bottom of the arm. This gives me a little more control of the rig’s roll characteristics. I also optimized the weights for the Canon HV-30 so it takes a lot less time to balance out the rig now.
Overall the design is evolving and improving and as I practice a bit more my shooting technique is improving. I would like to get a more experienced Stedicam operator to take it out for a spin.
This is my attempt at a DIY Camera Stabilizer. I call it the JayCam MK II. It is a Merlin-like design that utilizes a gimbal. The entire rig cost less than $50 and with a few more tweaks and some practice you won’t be able to tell the footage from stuff shot with much more expensive gear.